Friday, February 3, 2012

Thank you for being a murder detective

My newest favorite show has become Murder, She Wrote. Why?
Photo from thestudiotour.com


Why not??

It's a mystery show, and those are usually pretty enjoyable. Besides, I've gotten on a murder mystery kick by watching the BBC's latest hit "Sherlock." (Which, by the way, stars a man with the best name on the planet: Benedict Cumberbatch. See Eddie Izzard's standup routine about Engelbert Humperdinck to see how the naming process came about.)
Seriously, watch this. It's hilarious.

I didn't use to like the show when I was younger. It was a regular favorite of my mum's, but at the time I wasn't into mysteries very much, and I didn't find the show comedic enough for my tastes. But now that I'm a snarky, cynical adult? Let the fun begin!

There's another reason why I like the show: To date, I have found 11 characters who have also made an appearance on Golden Girls. WIN. What's the name of the game? Six Degrees of Golden Girls! Of the main characters, only Blanche and Stan have been on Murder, She Wrote. (Stan--or Herb Edelman-- has a recurring role as a policeman in New York.) The other characters were only minor--Blanche's sisters, or various boyfriends of the girls. Still, it makes for exciting stuff, at least for old-lady me.

And have I mentioned the snarkiness? If you're looking for a snobby character everyone loves, look no further than Jessica Fletcher. Her nosiness into the lives of locals and non-locals alike, not to mention her constant reminders to the sheriff (played by Tom Bosley) about how to properly do his job are rather amusing.

Also, it's from the 80s. So it's more or less a guarantee that I'll like it or at least watch it.

For those of you lucky enough to have cable (i.e., not me), Murder, She Wrote can be found on the Hallmark channel. For those of you luckier enough to have Netflix, the entire series can now be viewed instantly.

2 comments:

  1. MSW is on TVLAND weekdays at 1 as well as Hallmark Movie Channel weekdays at 2. Sometimes the time changes on TVLAND. I love MSW. But then, I like to fancy myself as a detective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, are you sure you are not really 68 years old?

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment here...