Monday, February 27, 2012

And the winner is....

Oscar time! I didn't watch the ceremony (applying for jobs and not having a TV were the factors in my decision) but reading the results I found that "The Artist" won Best Picture. And deservedly so! I saw it this weekend, and loved just about everything about it. I think it helped to know going in that it was a silent movie, because I don't always like surprises, especially when it comes to movies.

Jean Dujardin accepting his Best Actor award. Photo from LA Times

What was there to like about the movie? Great acting, storytelling and production. (And a cute dog, so it was the icing on the cake.) Jean Dujardin as George Valentin was outstanding, as was his lady counterpart, Berenice Bejo. But it was the story that particularly was driven home for me. "The Artist" is a tribute to silent cinema, but also shows the effect technology can have on those who are stubborn to resist it, as Valentin was. With everything that is being revolutionized now that things are easier, faster and available to everyone, there are ultimately those who still wish they were living in the past and believe things will return that way. Watch "The Artist" and you will see what happens if you don't get with the times. It was that, more than anything else, that really held sway for me.

Moral of the story: I highly recommend seeing the film if you haven't (and that's growing more unlikely since people will most likely flood theaters to see it after it won Best Picture.)

But the awards aren't the best part of the show for me, it's the fashion. I'm a sucker for pretty gowns. And this year, Milla Jovovich had the prettiest, in my opinion. She looked absolutely beautiful.
Soooooo pretty! Photo from Just Jared
 Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Angelina Jolie, whose dress looked really inappropriate for such a glam night. And she looked so pale, a little too pale for me. But she usually looks pretty fabulous, so I think she can be excused one night.

Too much leg, and too depressing. It's like a
stripper funeral dress. Photo from Superficial.
Overall, a pretty successful night for the Oscars it seems. I don't think there was anything particularly exciting or memorable about it, but certainly not one of the worst nights. Congratulations to everyone who won awards!

1 comment:

  1. I shall never buy you any clothes!!! I say yuck to both dresses!! Unfortunately I don't want to get with the times....Too much ME ME ME. Too much, I want it YESTERDAY!! Nice job on the review kiddo. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment here...