Thursday, February 23, 2012

The impossible just happened: Betty White is cooler than before

Just when I thought Betty White couldn't get any more awesome, she totally did.

Yaaay Betty White!

I just finished her book, "Betty White: Here We Go Again" and loved every page. Not just because it's Betty White (though that's pretty much a given) but because I genuinely enjoyed her writing style and learning about the history of television. You see, that's really what the book is about--her life, as seen through TV shows over the past 60 years. For a minor history geek, not to mention a Betty White fanatic, it's one of the best combos that could be dreamed up.

I've only seen Betty White in Golden Girls, but after reading her book, I want to go out and find every show she's ever been in. Unfortunately, her earliest shows were before the invention of tape (wow!) so no luck there. But there are plenty of other shows that, with a little luck, I could find. And believe me, after reading some of the sketches she did, I will be looking.

Anyway, go read the book if you find it! And I'm not just saying that as a Betty White fan. I love the six degrees of separation idea, and there's plenty of that in this book. TV shows are all eventually connected to each other through actors, producers, directors or networks. All the work that she's been in, from Life With Elizabeth to covering Thanksgiving parades for 20 years, (I didn't know that!) to the Mary Tyler Moore Show, to Golden Girls and beyond is discussed and without a hint of egoism or bragging. Sure, she's proud, but who wouldn't be if they managed to stay relevant in television for 60 years?

If you're looking for serious background on the history of TV I wouldn't really recommend it, since that's not really the point of the book. It just gives you her history and how she took her first steps in showbiz, the format of game shows and getting shows on networks has changed. Basically, it's just enough so that you understand what she's going through at the time, but for a complete TV un-know-it-all (ie, me) it was just the right amount.

And, if you're one of those people who likes pictures with their books, this can help you out, too! Lots of photos included, including a nice color section. It helps get a sense of who all the people from "the old days" are.

I thought I knew a little something about Betty White and her TV history, but this book showed more of the incredibly warm, bright, funny, engaging woman than I could've imagined. With her career taking off once more, here we go again, indeed. I can't wait to see what she will do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here...