Monday, March 12, 2012

Florence + the Machine = awesome

I've been searching around for new music lately, and while I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago I heard a great Florence + the Machine song I didn't recognize. I tried to memorize some of the lyrics so I could look it up when I got home. However, I misheard the lyrics, so looking up every single Florence song out there didn't help me find the song I heard. So I gave up, thinking that maybe it was a different artist who sounded shockingly similar. But lo and behold a few days ago, I stumble across the song!


It's called "Heartlines" and it's from their "Ceremonials" album. Turns out that "Just keep going" is NOT how the chorus goes. Rather, it's "Just keep following." Well, I was somewhat close.

Then I discovered there was an acoustic version of the song. Actually, I might have found the acoustic version first, I'm not sure. But in either case, I'm extremely picky about my acoustic covers, because much of the time (about 99 percent) I enjoy the percussion and faster tempos of album versions. And I also have found that the artists don't seem to be as in tune and tend to wander around the notes more than I would like. And the same goes for this song, too--except for the singing. It's utterly fantastic. I've always been a Florence fan; she has a beautiful voice. But it's really shown off in the acoustic version.

It's a little weird that it's the same cover photo, but oh well.

I haven't listened to the entire album yet, but it's on my to-do list. I also particularly like "Never Let Me Go," but because it reminds me of a book of the same title. 

So if you haven't checked out the group (nearly impossible to do at this point since they're super popular now) I highly recommend you do that. Right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here...